UPDATE—Mike Pence’s tenure as a distinguished visiting fellow ended in 2022.
WASHINGTON — The Heritage Foundation announced today that former Vice President Mike Pence will join the organization as a distinguished visiting fellow.
“Over the course of the past four years, our team at Heritage has worked closely with members of the Trump administration on a host of policy accomplishments,” said Heritage President Kay C. James. “That’s why I am excited Vice President Mike Pence will join forces with Heritage to ensure we continue to advance conservative principles and policy solutions. His allegiance to the Constitution and commitment to advancing a conservative policy agenda make him an outstanding fit for The Heritage Foundation.”
Three decades ago, it was The Heritage Foundation’s influence that inspired Pence to help create a think tank in his home state of Indiana. After coming to Washington as a congressman and later as vice president, Pence frequently collaborated with Heritage and will now continue to do so as a distinguished visiting fellow.
“The Heritage Foundation is a flagship of the conservative movement and I am profoundly honored to join them as a distinguished visiting fellow to advance conservative policies that will benefit every American,” Pence said. “The Heritage Foundation helped shape my conservative philosophy for decades and played a pivotal role advancing conservative policies throughout the Trump Administration. I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and working with the all-star team at Heritage as we continue to take the case for a strong national defense, free markets and traditional values to policymakers across the Nation and to every American who cherishes our Heritage of Freedom.”
In his capacity as a distinguished visiting fellow, Pence will advise Heritage experts on public policy issues and ensure Heritage remains the leading conservative voice on solutions to America’s biggest challenges. Pence plans to deliver a series of speeches on policy issues while at Heritage and will contribute a monthly column for The Daily Signal, Heritage’s multimedia news outlet. He will also work with Heritage to lead the conservative movement into the future.
James thanked Pence for his public service and commended his courage, resolve, and faithfulness to our country.
“Mike Pence served with honor and excellence in his home state of Indiana as a congressman and as governor before becoming one of the most consequential vice presidents of our time,” James said. “A man of faith, principle, and character, Vice President Pence is a heroic protector and defender of the Constitution and the values that unite us as a nation.
“I am overjoyed that Heritage will continue to work alongside Vice President Pence as we have for the last 30 years. As much as we’ve accomplished in that time, especially over the last four years, there is so much more to be done. Knowing that Vice President Pence is still in the fight is an adrenaline shot for the entire conservative movement.”
Over the past four years, The Heritage Foundation worked closely with Pence and others in the Trump administration on many of the consequential policy victories they achieved for the American people.
- Three conservative justices were confirmed to the Supreme Court and over 200 judges were appointed to federal benches across America.
- Pro-life policies were a top priority, ending government funding for promoting abortions internationally and defunding Planned Parenthood.
- The administration cut taxes and regulations, giving rise to a historic economic expansion and the lowest unemployment rate in five decades.
- The administration supported law enforcement, enforced our immigration laws, and moved toward an immigration system focused on American needs instead of those of illegal aliens.
- America became an energy exporter and less reliant on foreign sources.
- The administration prioritized veterans’ care, worked to rebuild our national defenses, withdrew from the disastrous Iran nuclear deal, and eliminated terrorist leaders who threatened the American people.
- The administration brokered some of the most important peace deals in the Middle East in our lifetimes.
Working together with the former vice president, Heritage will continue to support and defend these policy accomplishments while also fighting back against a socialist agenda pushed by those on the left.
As the nation’s largest, most broadly supported conservative research and educational institution, The Heritage Foundation has been leading the American conservative movement since our founding in 1973. More than 500,000 dues-paying members support our vision to build an America where freedom, prosperity, opportunity, and civil society flourish.