- Defend American economic interests from the many threats posed by China, such as intellectual property theft and espionage.
- Uphold the strength and credibility of our alliances in the region.
- Work with our allies and trading partners to build collective action addressing economic challenges.
- Support Hong Kong and Taiwan against Communist China’s threats to their economic and political freedom.
- China is one of the world’s worst human rights violators, persecuting and imprisoning a massive number of religious citizens and ethnic minorities.
- China has the world’s largest military, benefiting from a two-decade long modernization program and double-digit budget increases.
- American companies have $107 billion invested in China, while China has invested some $40 billion in the United States.
How to Talk About China
Disciplined Economic Partnership
- The fact that the U.S. and China have closely linked economies should not obscure the differences between our free economy and China’s state-controlled system.
- The current economic relationship must be managed to prevent damage to U.S. security interests and the privacy of our citizens.
The Real China
- We need to honestly evaluate Chinese “cooperation.” Progress in one area does not excuse China’s misdeeds in others.
- The Chinese government is actively working to dominate East Asia, as well as outer space and cyber space. Beijing also engages in economic espionage and human rights abuses.
Engage and Protect
- We should be clearsighted about when our interests coincide with those of China and when they do not. We should always be prepared to protect our rights and interests and those of our allies when they are threatened by China.
- Is China Totalitarian?
- America’s Post-Coronavirus China Syndrome
- Why America’s Economy Will Recover Before China’s
- U.S. vs. China: 5 Smart Ways to Keep Pushing Back
- Here’s What China Isn’t Buying as Part of the Phase One Trade Deal
- Coronavirus and China—3 Rules to Build U.S. Up and Make Them Pay
- On Taiwan: American Democracy and China Policy
- Impossible to Believe China Telling the Truth About Outbreak
- A Strategic Blueprint U.S.-China Relations
- What is China’s Grand Strategy?