The Heritage Foundation's mission is "to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense." Under that mission, the main objectives of the Foundation’s Institute for Economic Freedom and Opportunity are to limited the size, scope, cost and intrusiveness of government, expand individual freedom in a context of ordered liberty, and facilitate economic growth through free markets. Within that Institute, the Center for Data Analysis provides empirical research services to Heritage and to help build, through empirical and other research, publication, and other activities, the intellectual foundation for Heritage conservative public policies. The Research Assistant is responsible for assisting both the director and research staff in undertaking research and writing projects, assisting with responses to information requests from congressional staff and journalists, tracking legislation, and helping to design and maintain web-based products and pages.
- Create and manage databases that support the Center’s policy analysis.
- Write briefing materials and short publications.
- Conduct statistical analysis.
- Prepare materials for Heritage websites.
- Provide research support for management and staff.
- Assist with special projects, events and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of the Center.
Job Type: Temporary
B.A. in economics, advanced degree preferred. Must have good training in economics and finance.
Entry level. Familiarity with policy research techniques and the production cycle for policy analysis.
- Communication: Good writer. Must be able to work well as a member of a team.
- Computer: Should be familiar with a major statistical software programs.
- Special Skills/Requirements:
- Formal training in econometrics and database construction methodologies
- High level of web skills and interest in web products
- Strong organizational skills
- Perform a wide variety of assignments with creativity and high energy
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives.
- Strong research capabilities and must show initiative and ability to work independently