Senior Research Fellow Asia Economy
The Heritage Foundation's mission is "to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense." Based on those principles, the main objectives of the Foundation's Division of Foreign and Defense Policy Studies are to formulate proposals for conservative and effective U.S. foreign, defense, homeland, and free trade policies. Within the Division, the Asian Studies Center focuses on U.S. relations with the Asia-Pacific region. Consistent with the mission and objectives, the Senior Research Fellow for Asia Economy engages in research, publication, education programs, and other work, in cooperation with Heritage divisions and other organizations as appropriate, on Asian economic policy and U.S. policy implications. A background in economics and/or trade is mandatory.
- Engage in: (1) professional research, analysis, and writing for publication by Heritage and, as appropriate, others; (2) organization of meetings and events; and (3) representation of Heritage in many settings, including public functions, professional conferences, and, as appropriate, legislative hearings and meetings.
- Work with others across Heritage and in other organizations, including Heritage Action for America, to achieve Heritage objectives.
- Communicate effectively with staff of Heritage, Heritage Action, and other organizations, the general, news media, and, as appropriate, Federal, State, local and foreign officials.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of the Asian Studies Center.
- Assist, as required, in supporting research in other regional areas and with domestic policy.
Job Type: FullTime
Ph.D. in economics, or other graduate degree with Ph.D.-equivalent level of technical and research skills. Working fluency in an Asian language strongly preferred.
Substantial experience at senior levels of business, government, academia, or non-profit institutions in Asian economic policy, with an extensive record of scholarly publication. Recognized expert in fields of economics, trade policy, the economic dynamics of Asia, and U.S. relations with Asia in general and with China and India in particular.
- Understands and supports the Heritage mission.
- Performs top-quality research, analysis, writing, and publication, with emphasis on accuracy, insightfulness, and timeliness.
- Engages in effective oral and written communication and advocacy, in a variety of settings, including public speaking and mass media appearances.
- Exercises initiative, within mission and established policies, to achieve assigned objectives.