Senior Policy Analyst in Empirical Studies
The Heritage Foundation's mission is "to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense." Based on those principles, the main objectives of the Foundation's Center for Data Analysis is to conduct rigorous statistical analysis of policy and proposed laws for purposes of original research, helping other Heritage analysts and providing information for outside audiences. The Senior Policy Analyst in Empirical Studies engages in research, publication, education programs, and other work, in collaboration with Heritage colleagues and cooperating organizations as appropriate, to advance Heritage policy regarding: (1) education; (2) welfare; and (3) marriage, religious liberty, and civil society.
Engage in: (1) professional original empirical research, analysis, and writing for publication by Heritage and, as appropriate, others; (2) organization of meetings and events; and (3) representation of Heritage in many settings, including public functions, professional conferences, and, as appropriate, legislative hearings and meetings.
Work with others across Heritage and in other organizations, including Heritage Action for America, to achieve Heritage policy objectives.
Communicate effectively with staff of Heritage, Heritage Action, and other organizations, the public, print, broadcast and electronic news, and, as appropriate, Federal and State officials.
Other duties as assigned by the Director of the Center for Data Analysis.
Job Type: FullTime
Graduate degree in relevant social science, Ph.D. preferred.
3 to 5 years of experience with statistical analysis at research or academic institutions.
- Understands and supports the Heritage mission.
- Performs top-quality research, analysis, writing, and publication, with emphasis on accuracy, insightfulness, and timeliness.
- Engages in effective oral and written communication and advocacy, in a variety of settings, including public speaking and mass media appearances.
- Statistical and database acumen. Ability to convey complex statistical concepts to a lay audience, and especially to members of Congress and their staff.
- Exercises initiative, within mission and established policies, to achieve assigned objectives.