Searle Fellow in Appropriations
Conduct in-depth research and analysis of appropriations and related spending issues that advance the Heritage policy agenda. Develop specific policy recommendations to cut federal appropriations spending. Responsible for creating an expert profile and reputation for Heritage in federal appropriations policy. Spokesman for Heritage in public events and in the media.
- In-depth policy analysis and research on federal appropriations and all related policy areas with the goal of lowering spending and limiting government.
- Research and write original, high quality papers, reports and editorials.
- With investigative reporting team, identify policies leading to and examples of “rent” seeking and crony capitalism.
- Monitor fiscal trends and developments in discretionary spending.
- Speak at public functions and advance Heritage analysis and policy positions in national media outlets.
- Brief members of Congress and staff on appropriations issues; testify before Congress.
Job Type: FullTime
Minimum B.A. in economics or associated field (M.A. preferred), or equivalent level of technical and research skills.
5 - 8 years experience in policy development; policy publications.
- Strong public speaker and writer.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve decisive changes in public policy; recognized expert in the field; established authority with demonstrated impact over time; sought after for counsel.
- MS Office and Outlook, strong expertise in Excel.
- Understand and support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives.
- Broad understanding of the federal appropriations process.
- Leadership skills: works well in a team with limited supervision.
- High level of professionalism.
- Must be able to work independently with general direction.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively.