Responsible for effectively communicating Heritage’s work and conservative ideas to different donor audiences (i.e. individuals, corporations, foundations) in a way that builds relationships and inspires larger gifts to The Heritage Foundation and its sister organization Heritage Action for America. Write thank you letters, comment mail, speeches, introductions, proposals, and create original reports to donors of funded projects
- Write thank you letters, general proposals, introductory letters, speeches, funded project reports, and other donor correspondence.
- On occasion, be willing to represent Development as a member of Heritage’s cross-departmental Impact Teams, which focus on achieved impacts on a distinct, time-sensitive policy issue.
- Work closely with regional managers to better understand the motivations of and how best to communicate with high-level donors. And work with policy staff to understand Heritage’s view on a specific issue; share impacts and information with the Development team.
- Effectively communicate Heritage’s message in the “voice” of various Heritage trustees and executives – including and especially President Jim DeMint.
Job Type: FullTime
B.A. in English, or related degree. Graduate degree preferred.
Established writer with at least 4-5 years of experience; experience in fundraising and or journalism preferred.
- Computers: MS Office, Outlook, proficient in Word; knowledge of databases (Raiser’s Edge) and Excel useful.
- Special Skills/Requirements:
- Understanding and ability to support the Heritage mission and vision for America, and the department's goals and objectives.
- Team “player” mentality.
- Excellent grasp of English technicalities, including grammar and usage, and the ability to proof and edit copy efficiently. Familiar with AP Style.
- Ability to render complex technical aspects of Heritage programs in a language which donors can readily understand, and can clearly and persuasively relate the aims of these programs to policy and philosophical concerns of donors.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet tight deadlines with a quick turn-around.