Deputy Director and Rumpel Senior Legal Fellow
The Heritage Foundation's mission is "to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense." Based upon those principles, the Meese Center's main objective is to conduct research and educate on, and formulate and promote conservative public policies concerning, constitutional government, the law, and the judiciary. Consistent with the mission and that objective, the Deputy Director and Senior Legal Fellow engages with the highest degree of professionalism in research, publication, education programs, and other work concerning a broad array of issues and assists the Director in managing the Center.
- Engage in: (1) professional research, analysis, and writing for publication by Heritage and, as appropriate, others; (2) organization of meetings and events; and (3) representation of Heritage in many settings, including public functions, professional conferences, and, as appropriate, legislative hearings and meetings.
- Work with others across Heritage and in other organizations, including Heritage Action for America, to achieve Heritage objectives.
- Communicate effectively with staff of Heritage, Heritage Action, and other organizations, the general, news media, and, as appropriate, Federal, State, local and foreign officials.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of the Meese Center, including management duties.
Job Type: FullTime
Juris Doctor or equivalent law degree and deep understanding of U.S. Constitution.
At least 10 years legal practice experience at senior levels in law firm, business, government, academia, or non-profit institutions. Admitted to practice of law in at least one State or District of Columbia. Judicial clerkship preferred. Legislative drafting experience preferred.
- Understands and supports the Heritage mission.
- Performs top-quality research, analysis, writing, and publication in constitutional government, legal and judicial policy matters, with emphasis on accuracy, insightfulness, and timeliness.
- Engages in effective oral and written communication and advocacy, in a variety of settings, including public speaking and mass media appearances.
- Exercises initiative, within mission and established policies, to achieve assigned objectives.