Data Graphics Specialist and Editorial Associate
The Heritage Foundation's mission is "to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense." Based on those principles, the main objectives of the Foundation's Research Group, are to limit the size, scope, cost and intrusiveness of government, expand individual freedom in a context of ordered liberty, facilitate economic growth through free markets, advance traditional American values, and strengthen national defense capabilities. Within the Group, and consistent with the mission and those objectives, the Research Editing team, in a responsive and timely fashion, edits, generates graphics for, and proofreads research products; assists in maintaining Heritage branding, style, and professional standards; maintains documentation and workflow records; and performs other editing functions. The Data Graphics Specialist and Editorial Associate will assist in providing creative and technical graphics services and editing services to Heritage.
- Maintain established graphic standards for web and print media.
- Assist analysts in effective presentation of research in graphical form.
- Design graphical material for web-based and printed research products.
- Provide high-quality, timely, and collegial research editing services, and creative and technical graphics services, to Heritage.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Editor.
Job Type: FullTime
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with experience in data-based graphic design. Training in statistics, economics, or journalism preferred.
Prior experience (1) in editing, and (2) two to five years experience in journalism graphics or equivalent experience.
- Understands and supports the Heritage mission.
- Exercises initiative, within mission and established policy, to achieve assigned objectives.
- Generates and executes creative ideas to communicate research information through effective graphics.
- Has expertise with Adobe CS Illustrator and InDesign software and, preferably, with Microsoft Excel, Adobe Photoshop, ArcGIS, and interactive programming.
- Has excellent verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work creatively and communicate effectively with professionals with varying degrees of experience with graphics.
- Performs top-quality, precise and timely editing.